Friday, December 21, 2012

Public Radio is Classic (I Love It!)

I know it's been around for years and years -- but honestly, it has been years since I have even had access to it for free via an old-fashioned AM/FM radio.

National Public Radio is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Oh dear, I did just show my chrono-age, didn't I?  LOL

I just discovered today that St. Louis Public Radio 90.7 has apparently picked up the Saturday noon feed of the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts, formerly aired by the late Classic 99 (99.1 FM), which I occasionally still mourn.

I'm not a fan of opera, although maybe I should try to acquire the taste-- for SongPop purposes, if nothing else.  But my late and great-in-her-own-way mother, Alice Elizabeth Hurford Lucas, was an opera fan.

I can remember Saturdays she would have KFUO-FM radio blaring in the kitchen while she did some chore, with that awful screeching in some foreign language.  I was a child and didn't know any better, but that was my perception then.

I'm not sure if I avoided the kitchen to avoid being forced to help with some awful chore like silver polishing, or because the music was just way too loud... or maybe I just didn't think Mom was in her "happy place" -- if she had one.  Who knows?

In December of 2012, with Mom having died in June of 1998, I could only guess that she acquired her love of opera while she was working in "sh-caw-go" for a period of time, living away from her childhood home and loving it.

For me, I'm just glad that I now have one less reason to dislike the new Christian station at 99.1, which one of my favorite Realtors has said that she finds quite enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Em, for a great memory. Go Public Radio! WKSU rocks!

    ReplyDelete