Friday, January 18, 2013

*Formerly Middle Class (FMC)

I just listened to bits and pieces of what sounded like a very interesting radio show on KTRS 550 AM on my way to the library and back.  The topic of the show was the cost of health care and health insurance and who is paying the bill.

This argument will continue to rage with a lot of angry energy spent on the parts of many people of many socioeconomic classes.  The closing words of the show seemed to indicate that "the middle class" was having to pay for those others known as "the poor".

What interests me lies below the surface, partly because of my unusual perspective on this situation.

First of all, I don't necessarily agree with how the United States of America defines "the poor".  But I'm not anxious to change that right away, because at this moment my very life may depend on my staying as part of that labeled group, at least temporarily.

Secondly, how many of "the poor" as currently defined got that way as a direct or indirect result of corporate greed which is running rampant in this country?  (And no, I'm not discounting stupid investments or failure to see obvious red flags, which are the major part of my recent financial history.)

The poor are totally invisible to those who are busy working day jobs, and I don't blame them.  It works well for me, as I can run to the library in my dirty car and dressed like a homeless person (long story) and not have to speak to a soul.

But I would love someone to do a statistical study on the current poor in this country, as opposed to the poor in this country 10 or 20 years ago.  I really want to know:  how many of "the poor" are like me?

Yeah, I realize it's not all about me.  But I still want to know.  I bet others do, too.

The message I keep hearing is that somehow everyone in this world needs to stop all the yelling and listen to each other and be willing to work together on a solution that is going to involve compromise for us all.  THERE IS NO QUICK FIX.

Middle class is shrinking rapidly in this country, as it has done in many other once-great countries.  Is anyone paying attention to that fact?  Or are we all (myself included most likely) so caught up in our own drama and troubles that we just totally fail to see it?

If anyone wants to offer to shut me up by giving me a full-time job, I'm still listening.

Sincerely,
MaryRose Cassell, FMC*

(I like that better than The Dropouts.  What do you all think?)


No comments:

Post a Comment